View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Reflections on 1 year / 100K hands of online poker (LC)

Definitely do what you are comfortable with. Being comfortable with where you are is important, because you have to be confident in most of your decisions when you play the game. Otherwise, you just become overwhelmed with self-doubt.

I found 5/10 to be difficult and it took me a while to learn to beat it. If I had two suggestions for you, they would be:

(1) Make sure you play some full ring. The reason I say that is that full ring requires you to really become expert in certain routine situations (e.g. playing AK heads up after 3-betting an EP PFR), whereas shorthanded requires you to be good in a wide range of marginal situations. Playing marginal situations is trickier, but there's more room for leaks in your game to go unnoticed, especially because the 6max players on Party are, in general, worse than their full ring counterparts.

(2) Devote some time to playing a single table (and work hard to not be bored by the slowness of the action). There's so much more you can observe just focusing on one table and, in my experience, these observations are key to beating higher limit games. (Over time, these observations may become routine allowing you to multitable again, but I have found that from 3/6 on I could not beat the games without single tabling them for a substantial amount of time.) My rough estimation is that one learns the same amount playing x hands at a single table as one does playing about 5x hands four-tabling. There's nothing wrong with four tabling as a rule, and it's probably the best thing for building your bankroll. But a certain amount of single tabling is best for your long term development.

Congrats on where you have gotten so far and good luck in your continuing development.