View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Bump this thread every day the indians remain in the wild card lea

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the way they're playing, can they hang on to the wild card?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, they're only up like 4 on boston with 10 to play....

[/ QUOTE ]
Sox magic number for the Central is 9 -- wild card is 8. Assuming they go 7-4 in their final 11 games (which shouldn't be expecting much with 8 games against depleted Twins and Tigers teams), then the Tribe would have to go 9-1 in thier final 10 games to force a one game playoff. Assuming the same 7-4 record for the White Sox in their last 11 games, the Red Sox would have to finish a perfect 10-0 to force a one-game playoff for the wild card. Based on this, I think the White Sox are virtually a lock for the playoffs.

That said...as a beleagured Sox fan, I am disgusted with the way they've played the last 6 weeks. I'm tired of hearing "Hey, if you'd have told me at the beginning of the season that the would be 2 1/2 games up in the Central with 11 to play, I would have taken it in a heartbeat!" That's B.S. defeatist thinking. Because if I would have said in July when the Sox were cruising through the AL that they'd be up only 2 1/2 games with 11 to play and fighting for their playoff lives, I'd have been laughed at.

I've seen the light -- and it's very dim. This team should make the playoffs, but if they keep playing like this they'll be swept.