View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Girlfriend says I have major gambling problem and need help.

[ QUOTE ]
I have 2 friends who have serious gambling problems with online poker. One has lost every cent he has and just sold his car to go to go play 6-12 at Canterbury. I think the poster is fine, and I'm not saying he has a problem. I'm just saying that it happens, and it's possible. She stepped across the line when she tried to overule a professional. There's no question about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A professional who was the poster's ex-girlfriend, not exactly an impartial source. Whether she realized it or not, she was likely influenced by her prior relationship with the poster. I think his girlfriend asking him to seek the advice of *another* professional was fine, but saying "You definitely have a problem, here's places for you to find help" is over the line. And I think people saying that you can't be a gambling addict with online poker is about the most ignorant thing i've read on these forums. It's like saying that you can't be an alcoholic if you're only drinking beer, cause it doesn't get you drunk fast enough. Suspecting someone who hides the fact that he plays poker 20+ hours a week of having a gambling problem is certainly not unreasonable. The way she handled herself from that point was immature and did little to help the "problem" that she thought you had.

Despite what happened, I think it would have been more effective to seek advice from a professional in a clinic rather than an ex-girlfriend who is in the field.

Freakin