View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Good Game Fellas!

Bowens,
I used that phrase (feeling of dread) because I lack a better description. It isn't "dread," but more of an annoying thought in the back of your head and in the pit of your stomach, "[censored], they're driving. [censored] they're driving. [censored], we're not stopping them." And as the offensive team's confidence grows and they move the ball, this feeling gets more prominent. Professional athletes (I can't say all, but in general) feel these swings of confidence and momentum. Football offers an interesting little wrinkle to this because of the constant play stoppage and startage- in the huddle (or if no huddle, while the plays are being communicated) one players confidence (or "dread") is easily displayed through posture, voice inflexion, and eye contact.

I present you the following example: '88 SuperBowl, 49ers-Bengals. Ask offensive players for a story and you get the following (summary): On the very last drive everyone was in the huddle. We were very nervous and talking. Montana walked into the huddle and joked about John Candy being in the stands. Everyon laughed, we were no longer nervous, and we knew we were going to field and win the game.

Meanwhile there was an interview with a Bengal who, after scoring their go-ahead TD, watched the 49er offense walk onto the field, looked up at the timeclock and immediately thought, "Oh [censored], we left them too much time."