View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Can we get a discussion on early level play? 20% ROI at 22s?

I've been getting frustrated with my mediocrity as of late. After about 1500 22 party STTs, I have about an 11% ROI. I really want to reach a 20% longterm ROI at the 22s. I know my game isn't perfect, but it's hard for me to even fathom how some people are pulling a 20% ROI at this level. I'm having trouble finding another 9% ROI in leaks, but I'm not going to give up. I feel like my bubble play is pretty solid, although I'm sure not perfect. My ITM I think could use some work. I know my levels 1-3 could use some work, as I fold pretty much every hand except AA-QQ, AK, AQ, and pocket pairs.

How much ROI do you think (ballpark figure) I am missing out on playing this tight so early? Is there really, say, 5% ROI hidden in these early levels I am passing up? Can any successful higher stakes players and/or players at the 22s (with a high longterm ROI) give me any pointers for these levels? I'm not asking for you to outline an entire strategy that I can follow ABC style, I know that's not possible. I could just use a point in the right direction. Should I be raising more with hands like AJ, AT, KQ from decent position? Should I be playing more hands like JTs, or KJ that were usually auto folds for me? I feel like my postflop play is decent atleast.

How did you learn how to play the early levels of STTs?

What should I be doing to improve this part of my game?

Was this skillset just something that came naturally to you?

What differences should I keep in mind between playing a regular ring NL game and a STT in early levels?

I've tried several searches and there's just almost no talk about how to play early levels in this forum. Almost every question is about middle/late game and about good pushes and calls.