View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Please tell me what to do. (Boring job)

I am 24. I work in customer service. I live 10 minutes. It is Monday through Friday 830 to 430. I get a 45 minute lunch. I am barely making entry level salary. I have marginal benefits. I have been here for 8 months. Here is a typical day:

Get in somewhere between 8:30 and 8:45. Drink coffee while surfing the internet. I will do this for about 1-2 hours.

Mid-morning I will take some calls (very few) and do some mindless paperwork.

Lunch.

I come back with coffee and surf some more. I just got back from lunch. I will probably cruise for another hour, hour and a half.

I generally print some papers out periodically during the day to give the impression that I am doing work. I walk over to the printer, get the papers, then throw them out at my desk.

I am real good at keeping all sorts of stuff strewn across my desk so it looks like I am busy.

I copy articles of note from aldaily.com and paste them in my email so it looks like I am reading a lengthy, important email.

I usually leave exactly every day at 4:30.

When I first started I wore nice clothes to work. Today I am wearing jeans, polo shirt, and baseball hat. Nobody seems to care.

I don't talk to my boss, or anyone here really.

People have walked by my cubicle while I have like four windows open: 2+2, golf scores, concert dates, racing forum, etc., but they don't seem to care.

I've considered playing poker here, but that is probably pushing it.

I tell my friends that I hate it, but they tell me that I am being paid to cruise and it is something for my marginal resume.

Obviously I hate it and I feel like I am wasting my life. But I am making money (very little) and I pretty much relax all day. Quit?