Thread: Flop
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Flop

[ QUOTE ]
I don't need anywhere near 100% pot equity and you know that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not and I did not mean to suggest that. I only responded because of your 1 Sb v. 13 SB comparison which I thought was too much. When you give that comparison the numbers are so different that it doesn't look close which I believe it is. Even if you are right and I am wrong and you, on average, increase your pot equity enough to justify raising v. calling th edifference isn't 12 SBs. I know you know that but your post seemed to say otherwise. That is all I was trying to say, not that you shouldn't raise unless it gives you 100% equity.

Here is an example. I am obviously making up numbers but say you have 20% equity on the flop here and a raise will, due to other people folding, sometimes getting a free card, etc. raise your equity to 30% one-half the time. The other half you cost yourself .8 of a SB. Well then raising is better than caling. But it is better to the tune of about .25SBS (50% x 1.3 SBs (increase in PE from 20% to 30%) - 50% x 0.8). Well you should raise but the mistake of not raising is not that great. Still you should raise. Of course, you can come up with assumptions that make PE increase much more and a raise loks even better. Or assumption where the difference in PE is not as great, or in which the cost of raising is higher (i.e., the original bettor three-bets sometimes), and raising does not look as good.