View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Flopping the underboat against a short stack.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that thinks this post is getting loaded with bad advice?
First off if you are gonna start checking turn because you are worried about a 7 outer with 1 card to come that is a sign of trouble. You are a huge favorite ... call me crazy but I like to put as much money in as possible as a huge favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm far from sure about checking behind turn (especially seing respected posters disagreeing). But is this such a clear cut case? For my own good I'd like to hear more of the reasoning behind this.

In most situations (draw heavy boards, with cards to come that may kill my action): sure, push turn. I'm not too worried about the 7-outer (only 15% worried), but if I'm given the opportunity to see the river before getting it in knowing villain will call any river bet and would under no circumstances fold to a turn push then it cannot be wrong unless villain will bet a river scare card with a hand we beat. And I admit the latter may be a potential problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Second off if the flush hits on the river there is a strong chance this guy is not gonna call an all in bet. Bellieve it or not some people dont call all-in bets with naked trips when a flush hits the board. Lets see 2 hearts come on flop (you flat call), you check behind on turn, then go all-in on the river when the last heart comes. What do you think he puts you on? You just possibly killed your action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero didn't call flop, he pot-bet it. Villain check-called flop, so he's the likely one on a flush draw following your reasoning. Not that I think he's likely on a flush draw, but he could be. Which is also an argument for checking behind hoping for the flush to complete on river.
Anyway: checking behind on turn could be read for a 10, JJ , lower PPs or a pure bluff taking a shot at the flop and shutting down. I don't think hero's line screams flush draw anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes the guy was short stacked and PROBABLY would have called but if he was not short stacked then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he wasn't short stacked I'd bet to make sure I didn't miss value on river.

[ QUOTE ]

You have to bet this turn. A heart draw will call a reasonable bet and you can possibly stack them on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what bet do you suggest other than a push?

[ QUOTE ]

Naked trips will get more invested in the pot and be more likely to call when the last heart hits on the river. The more money people put in a pot the better chance they are gonna call a large river bet when when a scare card hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to this on a general basis, but do you think short stacked villain can get away from trips on the river? If so then I agree you must bet turn.

I guess checking behind turn boils down to:

+ You might be able to extract value from lesser hands by checking behind on turn? KK-JJ + possibly a pure bluff like missed flush draws (who believes the weakness in you turn check).
+ Hoping villain is on the odd flush draw and hits on river.
+ 7 outer hits on river and we fold to a better hand

- Villain will be scared by 3rd heart on river and folds to our bet
- 7 outer hits on river and we fold to a bluff from a worse hand

I'm not saying I'm sure, so flame away!