View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Raize on a draw v. Aggressive Player

We know that when heads up, in LP with a draw, that raising on the Flop increases our +EV, if our opponent cooperates and just calls and then checks on the Turn.

I play live, primarily against the same 50 guys or so, 20 of which are my most common opponents. There are 2 who are aggressive and will NEVER let me make this play and I haven't been making it until recently.

One of these opponents open/raised in EP last week in our 20/40 game and everyone folded to me on the Button with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I called. Everyone else folded.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I have the OESD with a backdoor flush draw.

EP bet and I raised and he re-raised and I called.
Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] bringing the flush on board.
EP checks, and I bet and he raises and I call.
River is the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving me the straight.
EP checks, I bet, he says: "Nice catch, but playing JTs that way loses money long term," and mucks his AK face up.

I do not show but ask him how he figures I was betting with nothing but a draw and he tells me to figure it out for myself.

Well, I know how he knew, but I never gave him credit for being so perceptive, only for being an aggressive player.

So, my question is: How do you deal with an opponent like him in these type situations?
He was willing to raise on the Turn when the flush came, in order to force me to "prove" I had the flush by re-raising.
He did, however, have the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], giving him an out, so I only had 6 outs going into the River.