Thread: Badly confused
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Badly confused

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyhow, usually I check-raise top-pair + no kicker on that flop if the action is favorable, which it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why didn't you raise?

The problem with check/raising here is that there's nobody to check/raise. And yes, it is bad if the flop gets checked through, because you have a vulnerable hand that might be best. This play lets you win the minimum when you have the best hand, and you lose more when you're behind because either a) someone who would have folded draws out on you, or b) you have no idea where you are on the turn. I think betting here is not only a better play, but the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is why I'm confused. Ok, if I check-raise and he 3-bets, I can fold on the turn. But if he just calls, I still don't know where I stand. Also, if I bet and get raised by the button heads-up, I still don't really know where I stand--although it's clear that I'm in a bad spot. If you regularly bet-call, then fold the turn with top pair in shorthanded pots, I'm pretty sure you're getting run over too often.

If the flop were A92, I could just check-raise with a clearer conscience. But AT9 or AJT flops are more difficult because there's so many ways for typical limpers to have hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you have reads. If you check/call down with top pair, weak kicker, you're either leaving money on the table, or paying too much. If you check/raise and he flat calls (which he probably will, not many people will bet/fold at these stakes), you have to try to determine what hands he would do this with. Would he bet with any pair, or a draw? If so, go ahead and bet again on the turn. Would he only bet with top pair or better? If so, you probably should just fold to his original bet.

You handle these situations by watching your opponents very carefully and learning their tendencies. This is exactly why reads are so important.