View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Everyday Dick Moves

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is one I hate when it's done to me.

You're in a long-ass line at a grocery store checkout (or wherever, really). A cashier opens a new lane, and the last guy in line hightails it over there along with everyone behind you. Pricks. I always offer the person in front of me to go over to the new line. This is why stores should go to a single-line, multiple checkout system.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a supermarket cashier, I am with you on this one. However, one of the most annoying things is when you're already open (usually an express line), and there are 4-5 people in line in the other line, and you say "I can help someone over here" and all 5 people turn and stare at each other while the person in the back of the line is the only one who doesn't act like a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that everyone knows the guy in the front of the line has first dibs, but he doesn't always want to switch, so how long do you give him? If I'm second in line I'm always torn between not wanting to screw the guy in front but not waiting too long to claim my spot either.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm behind the next guy in line, I'll point it out to him and make him decide. If I'm that guy but don't want to leave (maybe I've only got a couple items or whatever,) then I'll say "go ahead" to the people behind me.

Of course the dick move is compounded when people behind you leave for the new line and don't let you go in front of them when you decide to leave too. Don't know why everyone is so paranoid to communicate to strangers in a grocery line, but whatever.

ScottieK