View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Am I Playing Too Tight?

It's not entirely clear what you're talking about without examples.

When I first started playing MTT's, I played extremely tightly as well. This meant that I only did well when I caught good hole cards, and then only if they held up. What I found was I needed to find a way to logically expand my starting hand requirements in such a way that I wouldn't take on more jeopardy than I could handle. To be honest, I think I flailed around with suited aces and connectors, out of position for a long time before I understood what I was doing. I didn't have access to Harrington.

If you haven't read Harrington on Hold'em: Volume 1, I'd pick that up immediately. He outlines his starting req's in a variety of situations. At the very least, using his hand req's, you can start to play a few more flops without agonizing over whether A9o is strong enough to open with in mid position- he'll give you the answer. As you gain a better understanding of position, the Gap Concept, and your stack size in relation to the blinds, (through study and playing more hands) I think you'll find your game opens up naturally.