View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Keeping A Big Stack on the Table to Look Like a Winner

[ QUOTE ]
It's always a good idea to buy more chips when you get to about 5 BB. Not so much for psychological reasons, but because you'd hate to have a monster and be all-in on the turn for one bet with the rest of the table jamming hands you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
No doubt about that. I don't generally let myself get below 12 BB for that reason. I want to be able to cap every street for the rare but occassional opportunities that comes along.

When I see someone with a smaller stack than that it makes me think they are playing suboptimally and it will tend to make me assume at least initially they are not a very good player. I'm don't know that it affects my strategy about how I play them though until they get to around 5BB or less. I know some players become inclined to take more shots than normal at that point.

I think Ed Miller was talking about a more subtle effect that perhaps takes place if someone has only 10-15 BB on the table. I hadn't considered it much of an issue before, so I thought it was interesting he commented on it.