View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Johnny Damon signs with Yankees

I just am more pessimistic about jones's output than damon's. I also am the kinda guy that believes that the extra runs that the superstars create are harder to get elsewhere, especially when you're the yankees and need aas many extra runs as you can get to cover the key players getting ooooooooooold.

I was fine with the Cubs doing a Jones deal for 1 year, but 3 seems a little excessive. I won't mind being wrong though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

edit - this is bp's blurb on jones

The Damon deal wasn’t the worst signing of an outfielder with an 11-letter name yesterday, though, The Cubs--and you just knew it was going to be the Cubs--inked Jacque Jones to a three-year deal to play right field. Jones, 31, is a completely inadequate corner outfielder with the bat who doesn’t make up for that by being a plus defender. Since a two-year peak at 27 and 28 (.300 with power), Jones has settled in as a .250 hitter who walks once or twice a week and pops an extra-base hit about that often. He doesn’t have very good speed (13 steals a year the last three years, six triples total, double-digit GIDPs from the left side) and while his range is good, his arm is poor.

Jones is basically a fourth outfielder, about as good a player as Michael Tucker or Ricky Ledee or someone like that. His 2002-03 peak, and the Twins’ lack of better players, branded him as something more, but he’ll be a disappointment for the Cubs, who continue to have an organizational blind spot when it comes to on-base percentage.