View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 AM

Default I say I\'m sorry as I check-raise

So I got into a situation tonight and I don't think I acted so horribly but another player was extremely unhappy.

Anyway, this is a live 10/20 half kill game. Its 6 handed and I pick up KK in the SB. The half-kill is mine.

The Cut off and I have played two hands recently. One the board paired jacks on the flop, and he got unlucky. I had AJ, he had some worse jack, I dont' know, he folded to my river bet after I 4 bet the turn. On another recent hand I sucked out with second pair to his top pair, having caught trips on the river. He didn't bet the turn so that's on him.

This has generally been a friendly game. Its aggressive, to be sure, but friendly nonetheless.

So, he opens for $30 in the CO. I make it $45 in the SB. He makes it $60, and I just call.

The flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I lead. He raises. I 3-bet. He calls.

The turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Given our history and the way he's played prior hands with me and others, I decide to check-call the turn, knowing he won't bet a hand like 99 or TT on the river if that's infact what he's holding. I'd have a hard time calling a river bet u/i, but the pot at this point is 7 BB's, and even discounting my King outs I think my tens are clean so I'm seeing the river.

Anyhoo, I check, he bets and I call.

The river is the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I check. He bets. I line up $60 in chips, saying "sorry" at the same time, knowing full well he woudln't bet less than an ace on the river.

He calls, mucks his AQ in disgust and walks away.

A few minutes later he comes back to the table saying "You don't say "sorry" and check-raise." I say, "I was."

Anyways, he wasn't happy. Perhaps I should have simply said nothing?

I mean, I know that in retrospect I should have said nothing. But I'm fairly new to live play and I'm curious how you guys deal with keeping the table friendly when something like this happens. I mean, I don't think his reaction would have changed much if I'd said nothing. He was stuck and slightly steaming. I don't know. Maybe I don't have a question. But if anyone has a simliar account of pissing of an agreeable player, I'd love to hear it.