View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: You might hate the way I played this hand

The proection concept is misapplied if you don't have the best hand

I agree, but I don't try to protect my hand. I try to push MP out, there's a difference. Let's say MP has A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He called the flop with a BDFD and an overcard. When still facing aggression on the turn, he has to fold (if he's not a callingstation). As I said in my analysis/thought process post, I only have to improve my chances of winning by about 5% to make betting OK here. This only applies since I'm pretty sure the calling station will call up to the river with almost any hand...

In other words, it doesn't help you if you force MP out but the calling station calls, since you'll only win if you hit one of your outs

Hmm, this is probably why we disagree. I haven't been clear enough describing the callingstation. He calls with almost anything until proven beaten. Say 72o on a flop of K85. By the time he gets to the river he'll probably need A high to call. This means that there are many of his hands my Q high will beat (any hand without an A and that hasn't paired with the board).

But according to your read, the calling station has shown down at least ace-high in his calldowns.

When he called the river bets, yes. However, I see no problem in him having Qx, xy[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 35, 56, 57... I wouldn't be too suprised to check behind and be shown a J7o nether. But of course, there are many hands which he might have that I loose to, but against many of those (Tx, 2x, 4x) I'm at least getting implied odds if I hit my Q or J (with MP in the pot I wouldn't be able to bet those).