View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Weak play, or right play

[ QUOTE ]
I would say at this point, stealing the blinds is the same as folding because $4000 is inconsequential

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree here. $4000 is very consequential - it's currently 25% of your stack. If all of the short-stacks fold until they're blinded out, you'll be down to $8000 when the average is ~$55,000 and the blinds are bound to be 1500/3000 by then, which means you have 1.5 orbits left to live. $4000 is extremely significant to you right now.

[ QUOTE ]
... so the main issue is getting called. The odds that I am called are fairly substantial. The odds of me winning the tournament if I double up are still fairly remote, though not close to inconceivable. With $36000 on a double up, i have 2% of the chips. Therefore I should win 1 time in 50 all things being equal. $5200 for first place puts the value of winning at $104. With the payouts for placing 2-9,10-18,19-27 also being higher, it possibly would have been a no brainer decision if we ASSUME i double up and win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this kind of reasoning. That's like saying that by buying into a 2000 person event you have a 1/2000 chance of winning 1st, which pays out 400x buy-in. Hence, you're getting bad odds to play, so you shouldn't even enter. You can't just say "50 ppl left, i have 2% chance of winning." It has a lot more to do w/ your relative stack size and how much of a better player you are compared to the rest of the field - another reason you want more chips when you have an insanely good situation (like QQ...)
[ QUOTE ]

If we are not exactly on the bubble guaranteeing me cashing, I make the raise automatically.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me ask you this...if you have AKs or KK do you go all-in or fold? If so, you're putting your opponents that call on waaaaaay too narrow a range of hands. The difference between having KK/AK and QQ here are negligable. You're basically saying that opponents will only call your QQ raise w/ AA/KK/AK, which is completely weak thinking.
[ QUOTE ]
I was fairly sure how the people here would post, but I made an unusual play and wanted to see if anyone would have made the same considerations I did. It sounds like Zaxx thought about it for a second and didn't go into autobet mode. Everybody else played their cards only (and may have made a better decision than me in the process). This should not be an automatic play.

[/ QUOTE ]
If making it into the money is your sole concern, then you made the right choice. If placing first is what you want to do in this tournament, then pushing is clearly the correct, and should be automatic, play.