Thread: Non-Aces hand
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Non-Aces hand

Hi JTG51,

As always, I'm new to Omaha so don't put any stock in what I suggest....

I think this really depends on your assessment of LP's raising hands, and since he's new to the table, it's hard to know what to do at the flop. But there's another thing to consider: should you have called pre-flop? QQJ9ds is a very solid hand -- a raising hand, in fact -- but you're in the worst possible position: immediately to the left of the pre-flop raiser. So you're kind of monkey-in-the-middle on this hand, and that definitely limits how you could play it.

Let's say you pot-raise this flop, and one of the EP limpers pushes in. Oops. EP was hoping LP would bet, so he could take a big pot with his JT holding. Now maybe LP pushes all-in ... and now what? One of them surely has JT, and you have only two outs, and you're stuck folding with half your stack in the middle. Uggh.

That's why, in a raised, multi-way pot, you want to be immediately to the *right* of the pre-flop raiser. If the table "checks to the raiser," you'll get to see how everyone else reacts before you have to make a decision. So I think if you want to play this hand here, given the raise immediately to your left, you need to reraise pre-flop to try to isolate him ... and regain your position. If you don't like the idea of reraising vs. probable Aces with QQJ9ds, then mucking pre-flop is probably better than calling and being forced to play a drawing hand from out of position.

Cris