View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: When should you move up?

OK, I'm guilty of posing this exact same question not too long ago. I took a couple of shots at 1/2, fumbled around for a bit, and dropped back to my .5/1 comfort zone. I was dissapointed in myself, and stopped playing for a couple of weeks. Got back on, went to 1/2 full time and got pimp-slapped to the tune of 75BB. Some senior posters gave me the brilliant advice of NOT PLAYING 4 TABLES when you aren't quite yet comfortable. I dropped to single tabling, and getting a sweat every now and then. I'm now in the green (just barely, but in the green) and have started to feel a lot more comfortable. The game is different, although not much. Tons of players have done it before, and most comment on how it seemed brutal at the time, but going back now, it's a piece of pie.

You will run into good players, aggressive players, rocks, and donks, just like .5/1. If the $$ scares you, then you aren't ready. If you haven't yet learned to obseve players and their tendencies, you aren't ready. If you don't know what to do when a LPP checkraises your TPNK on the turn when a blank hits, you aren't ready. If you don't know how many outs you have at any time in the hand, well you know the answer by now.

Put in the time, not just playing, but learning. It's a challenge to me to get better, and that's why I wanted to move up. I have a job, I don't need the money, but I'm a competitive person. I want to get better. If I just wanted to win, I'd stay at .5/1 forever.

You will be told over and over, like I have, that 1/2 full is a weak-tight game. You have to learn to deal with that (getting your TP called down the whole way by an overpair, and such), and it requires that you acquire some new skills. That is the fun part, evolving your game.

Good luck, and keep running g00t.

Nate