View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: $30/$60 Stud high: Headsup with Carlos

This hand clearly stinks of aces or kings to me. He raises a completion on third and then smooth calls a reraises. Calls fourth and reraises on 5th with a crap board. Folding is not the worst thing you can do in this spot and I might just do it since you have no other draw developing except two pair or runner runner fullhouse.

However, sklansky or malmuth would say that if you are convinced he has aces or kings you can play and if he hits an open pair on 6th and you are unimproved, you can fold.

The beauty of your hand is that your pair is split meaning that you can hit two pair hidden while his are out in the open. So if you happen to hit two pair on 6th (hidden) you need to be ready to put in some action yourself with a check raise because if he has the high pair he will bet it. If you hit an open pair yourself you must lead out. Since it's heads up I might even bet the river if I think he will not reraise me with aces up.

However, I think I fold this hand. The problem is that you have no other draws as I stated above and your kickers are low. Aside from the open pair, if he catches an ace, king, or queen, on 6th what will you do? There are so many cards that feel like a disaster on 6th street that I would rather not play beyond 5th against a player like Carlos. Other players, I would be play.