View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: What separates a good player from an advanced player?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am 15/10/2.3 in the Party 10/20 full game and doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your reasoning here at all. adding 5 hands per 100 hands is quite a significant increase. obviously most of your winrate comes from the top 3-4% of hands but just defending a few more +EV hands in the blinds and opening a few more hands in MP or LP can have a significant impact on your winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the chart on p.47 of SSH for an example of how quickly hands drop off in EV. What's the area under that curve between the zero crossing and the next highest 4-5% of hands? And can you always be sure you aren't playing some on the right side of the zero crossing?

Obviously this chart is not situational enough to be of real use in choosing your hands, I'm just using it as an example of the general shape that the pre-flop hand strength vs. EV curve will always have in any situation. The marginal hands for any particular situation will always be very tiny in EV, and subject to the possibility that some will actually be on the wrong side of zero.

Improving post-flop is just so much more important, and some of those extra hands will not be +EV at all until this is done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, part of the way of getting better is by playing more marginal hands.

I'm not trying to say that it's a 1BB/100++ differencebut i do think that even 0.5BB/100 is a significant increase.