Thread: PLO8 preflop
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: PLO8 preflop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A'ight, I'm giving PLO8 a try at the Party Poker $25 buy-in level. My postflop instincts actually seem to be okay, but I'm completely lost when it comes to preflop strategy. Can somebody give me some basic pointers, like the five most important preflop concepts? Please assume that I'm a retard when it comes to this stuff.

thanks,
Nate

EDIT: To clarify, I'm mainly thinking about limping versus raising decisions. I have a basic idea of what constitutes a playable O8B hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should almost never raise preflop. If you can get all-in with something like AA2x, then do so. But otherwise, hands run close in value preflop so that raises usually gain little or nothing in EV terms, and you don't want to knock out weaker hands that might give you action later. The real money in this game is made postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I have a good multiway hand like A23x double-suited and I'm on the Button? I've had some success raising something like half the pot in these cases against bad, loose opponents (e.g. most everyone in the really easy games that I'm playing) who will call and then get themselves potstuck.