View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Common top pair situation

[ QUOTE ]
Your thoughts on this hand Aaron?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we've got the best hand when that flop comes down, before any of the action. This is based on villain's PFR and the fact that it's not often for us both to pair the king.

It's either WA/WB or check-raising the flop. I lean towards check-raising when I think villain is weak-loose postflop (this squeezes more money out of him when he's chasing with Ax and will try to take a free card on the turn -- or if I'm 3-bet, I can trust that he's got me outkicked and get away on the turn or river, depending on the pot size and whether I improve). In this case, I suspect villain is probably aggro enough to keep betting, so I'll take WA/WB. This will also help build a postflop read on him. Having a loose donk in the middle to pad the pot is nice. On a flop like this, if he doesn't have the flush draw he has 3-5 outs to beat us. The flop call is already very thin for him and he's probably going to call a turn bet as well (without odds).

If the flush card falls and he wakes up, it isn't too bad because the action will probably be CO bets, button raises, and you fold to two bets and lose no sleep over it.