Thread: Optimal Play
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Optimal Play

Hi tripp,

Welcome to the forum. If by "optimal game plan," you mean a specific way to bet each hand, so you only have to use recall, as opposed to analysis, during the play of hands, then the answer is no, there is no such plan that will succeed at all limits. However, Ed Miller does outline a strategy that requires basically no thought, which will win in any good game, in his book Getting Started in Hold'em . If you want to learn NL, I think that book is a good place to start, as it answers some of the most basic questions people may be embarrassed to ask.

If, by optimal gameplan, you mean an strategic framework from which to base your decisions, then of course this is the place. Tight, aggressive (TAG) play will work at all limits; Loose, aggressive (LAG) play will, as well. This forum is an excellent place to learn the "advanced fundamentals" of NL. Hopefully, someone here will be nice enough to provide you with links to some essential posts, as I suck at doing that. I will suggest that you use the search feature, and look up posts by <font color="red">Tommy Angelo </font> , <font color="blue">Ray Zee </font> , <font color="blue">ML4L </font> , limon, El Diablo, Matt Flynn, fsuplayer, etizzle, <font color="red">KaneKungFu123 </font> , <font color="blue">turnipmonster </font> , coltrane, TheBruiser, Fossilman, cwl, etizzle, <font color="red">riverboatking </font> , lapoker17, <font color="blue">JasonStrassa </font> , <font color="blue">creedofhubris </font> , and anyone else who gets suggested in this thread. The names in blue are probably where you'll find the clearest articulations of strong fundamental play; the ones in red are solid gold if you know what you're doing, but perhaps dangerous if not. All of these folks' posts should be studied, IMO, and I'm sure I've left off a bunch of phenomenal posters as well (I apologize to those guys; I always hate it when my name gets left off a list I think I deserve to be on--my list just came off the top of my head).