View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 05:19 PM

Default What\'s worse here, the push or the call?

I have seen this exact same play happen in THREE SNGs in a row on PokerStars: Fairly early in the tournament with lots of chips for most players and still low blinds; no time to risk tons of chips without a good reason.

In all three cases, the hand involved people with a lot of chips - no short stacks but also nobody had like 80% of what was left.

Guy in early-middle position makes a standard raise of 3-4BB. Someone after him pushes all-in with a large stack. The initial raiser calls the bet.

All three times the initial raiser-caller had AK and the guy who pushed had pocket 7s.

Now, what made me want to post this:

When I see a situation come up where the cards are shown, the money is in and the board is filling up, I usually silently root for the person whom I felt played the hand best (when all things are equal). I realize that it might be better for me if people who play badly are my competition but it's a Karmic thing. (And not really important...)

Anyway, in this case, I said to myself, "Self, how can you push with a medium pair?" But then I thought "Wait a second there, Self; how can you call with AK?"

And it all hurt my head.

So which play is worse and why?