View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Multitabling, what software reqd?

Hmmm... It would be nice to have mulitple monitors or a way to shrink screens down.

But, I do manage to do 8 tables 1280 x 800 laptop screen.

8 is a bit much. After all, since I seem to play about 20-23% of my hands any more than 4 basically means having two hands going at once. And occasionally you get cluster-f'cked with more playable hands all at once. (Seems to be the rule rather than the exception).

So for me I've found that 4-6 tables is the optimal number for staying busy enough not to make mistakes because I'm bored. At 7-8 it gets to busy, and becuase of the overlap and tables popping up it gets agravating.

Anyway, you can do it without anything special, but it takes some getting used to. At this point I can't stand anything less that 4 at a time or it feels like watching paint dry.

However, my error rate, no doubt goes up with each additonal screen. Actually there's more like a sweet spot. Too few, you start making loose calls to much. To many and you start getting to where you are saying, "Geez I don't know where a stand in this freakin' hand!"

On trick is to try to select seats in positions where you can see them even with overlapping. By being able to see that a hand you'll fold is happening on another table you can somewhat ignore it and just quickly fold it when it pops up.

Anyways, I do 4-8 tables at a time, up to about 3400 hands a day on just a 1280x800 laptop screen. So it can be done. It's not optimal, but it is do-able.

I also keep some reference material open too.

The other thing I do is to open everything in the same order each time. That way I always know, for example, that my "Lobby" is the 5th task bar item over, or whatever you choose.

It's a matter of getting aclimated, for the most part.

That said, I wish someone would come up with a way to shrink each table, make the cards larger, and not have the overlap.

Perhaps MTH covers a lot of this. Not sure. My current impression is that it moves the active table to the upper right of the screen? If a new table pops into that spot every time an action is required, I'm not sure that it's better than overlap. However many many folks swear by it, so don't go by me. (I'm still trying to find out exactly how if displays things before I install it.)