View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Should I go back to school?

Well, school here at the University of Oklahoma started back today, and I have still not decided whether or not I will attend classes this semester.

Here is some background info: I started college 4 years ago on full academic scholarship (plus living expenses/cash stipends) cause I took tests real well . I started out majoring in Physics and was a straight-A student for my first 3 semesters. I then realized that I didn't want to work in a lab the rest of my life and started exploring other majors (this was also about the time that I started playing a ton of poker). So I took 2 semesters of econ classes, then last semester, I started making a substantial income through poker. At this point, I stopped attending classes and basically flunked. I still recieve a full tuition waiver, and if I made up the 12 hours I lost I would recieve all the other scholarships back too (although, I am not worried at all about the money).

Also, I got married this summer, and my wife is a second year pharmacy student. Our plans all along have been to purchase a hometown pharmacy when she graduates and I run the business part while she does the pharmaceutical stuff. This, combined with the fact that I have made so much money from poker, leads me to lean towards not going to school for now. Also, I understand that poker may not be there for me in 5 years, BUT SCHOOL WILL. I am investing alot of my money right now, and would have no trouble footing the bill in a few years if I do try and go back. It just seems like an undergrad degree is so worthless these days, and I really can't think of a postgrad program I would be interested in.

Thoughts?