View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Rolf\'s CP Column and Starting Hand Requirements

I think hands like 9876, 6543r are fine to limp in at low limits (PL$100 or lower) when the table is weak-passive. But at higher limits, these are -EV since most pots are being raised preflop. Most of the time, you are flopping a wrap draw and you can't continue if there is a board 2-flush.

The strange thing is that I think Rolf's articles depart somewhat from his regular playing style, since he normally plays shortstacked. I think the advice that he has given in the past, which basically amounts to only playing hands that you can raise with or that are strong enough to call a raise with. 9876r doesn't qualify.

One final comment - since cardplayer magazine is probably the most widely read poker magazine, but relatively few people play PLO, I wish Rolf would focus his writing on the post-flop play, which is much more interesting and exciting than preflop hand selection. We need something other than the 2 broadcasts of the WSOP to help attract new players to the game.

I definitely noticed a spike in the number of games running after they showed Phil Ivey won the PLO bracelet 2 months ago, but it seems that a lot of the action has dried up. Even Dave D says that the PLO games aren't very good now; hence his switch to LHE!