View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: NHL on Outdoor Life Channel

Good and bad .. I think Comcast will be changing the name of the network, as it looks like they are trying to build a competitor to ESPN..

One problem is that there will be a game on every Monday night, but that game will be exclusive to OLN. This means if your team is playing, and it's not on OLN, it will not be shown anywhere. Now this is great for years to come, since what the NHL always lacked was an exclusive game - who was going to watch the national game on ESPN when there's your own team playing as well? But there are several games scheduled for Monday night this season.

ESPN's coverage was never great, and NHL fans really despised it. I didn't think it was *that* bad, but I just hated the blatant homerism of Bill Clement, Gary Thorne, and Steve Levy. From what I hear, Clement will unfortunately be a part of the new broadcast - no surprise, since OLN is owned by Comcast, the Flyers are owned by Comcast, and it seems like Bill is owned by the Flyers. Hopefully Thorne is not part of it - his outright butchering of European names and complete mis-calls (his famous "No goal!" on Friesen's Game 7 winner) just aren't needed.