View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: lines bad players take that good players misinterpret

[ QUOTE ]
here's one named for bad players.

The Donkbet

defined as: leading out of position without initiative from a previous street.

The only difference between this and the stop and go is that there doesn't have to be a pf or flop aggressor to donk a street. Also known as the "bet out of nowhere"

Good players do this with vulnerable (but possibly showdownable) hands that a villain has likely missed. Usually it takes a non-calling station read and a non-bluff raiser read on the villain to do this with a weak hand.

Ex. villain calls from the CO and hero checks in the BB. Flop is XXY rainbow. Hero bets, villain folds.

Bad players tend not to donk because they think the board missed you though. They aren't thinking about whether or not it makes sense for that flop to have connected with your range. They only see the cards in front of them. This means that most often, they are donking made pairs. They are not worried about folding better hands, they just want to flex with the hand that they are in now, and win without a showdown. Bad players will occasionally use the donk to take shots at you if you fold too much on the flop though.

------

Good players may also donk into crowds with strong draws. This may build a nice pot and tie others to it with vulnerable hands to it.

Ex. five limpers and hero completes in the sb with K5:hearts: The flop comes with two hearts and hero donks.

Bad players typically don't donk in these situations. They don't understand equity, and even with five opponents and a strong draw they'll be content to check and call until they hit.

In general, I read a donk from a bad player as a made pair that wants to bet because he thinks you'll fold.

---

I feel this is a little incomplete. Would anyone care to add to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good players also use this move to disguise an incredibly strong hand that they want to be raised with.

Blind battle: Button raises, I 3-bet 99 in the SB, and the BB, a fairly aggressive TAG, caps. Button folds.

The flop is 982. I bet. BB raises. I call.

The turn is a 7 bringing a flush draw to the board. I bet. BB raises. I 3-bet.

Rob