View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Extracting value with top set

Just discovered this site--wow, you guys are so much better than rec.gambling.poker.

Here’s my situation. At the $200 max buy-in level (1/2 blinds), I sit down at the table, and get JJ in the BB on my first hand. It folds around to Villian in late position, who has accumulated an $800 stack. He raises to 8. It folds to me, and I reraise to $20. He calls.

Flop is Js 6c 3h. I immediately think about trying to double up on this hand. I check, thinking he hasn’t made anything, and will just fold if I bet. He checks behind. Turn is Tc. I bet $20, about half the pot. I’m hoping he’ll read me for AK that missed, and trying a weak bluff. Maybe he’ll try to intimidate me with a bluff raise. Nope. Fold.

Is there any way I could have gotten more out of this? I figure he probably had second-tier high cards (AQ to KJ), and thought he was behind even if I did have AK. If that’s right, then if I check the turn and see an ace, he still might not pay me off. Maybe I should have smooth called preflop, and let him bluff me?