View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Another Interesting Home Game situation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are the rules on this? In Supersystem, DB talks about if he has A-A and a player is betting into him, he will show the A-A and try to get a read. I assume DB was talking about a cash game, not a tournament, and was heads up.

I have used the trick myself, like when I had an Ax with x being a low kicker. Why you would show with the nuts is beyond me, maybe he was flustered/excited. It was a big hand.

I would really like to know the rules, officially. Have they changed since Supersystem? If so, why? Collusion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, people, how hard is it to google the rules or even read the thread and see the answers of people who have read the rules.

Tournament Directors Association:

Rule 35: A player who exposes his cards during the play may incur a penalty but will not have his hand killed.

for those who are google impaired

I don't see a rule that specific in Robert's rules of poker, but if you look under the section heading: "Dead Hands," exposing your cards is not listed as a reason to kill a hand. Also under "Showdown," Rule 6 "show one show all" its strongly implied (indeed I don't see any way to read the rule otherwise) that an exposed hand is not a dead hand.

Linky, cause I know google is so hard to use

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Zetack, I did read through the threads and I saw different answers. Is the Tournament Director's official, or just one set of rules out of several?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately there are no official rules. The TDA rules are the Tournament Directors Association rules. They are as close to a defining standard as we have for tournaments. That said, any tourney or tourney director is free to change the rules in whatever way they see fit.

Roberts Rules of Poker is a standard work and an often cited authority. However, it is not the "official" rules of poker, because there is no such thing.

However, in combination, these are as authoritative a set of rules as you will find anywhere.

--Zetack