View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Slow Play? #1 (PLO8)

[ QUOTE ]
1. You have people posting advice who have no business giving advice. I mean some of these clowns post advice that is so bad it makes me want to vomit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one of the disadvantages we have is we don't have a micro, small, high-limit breakdown. In the micro-limit HE forums, for example, people just blindly post bad advice--it's expected of them. Then, the more knowledgeable posters who are maybe just a bit ahead of them in the learning process correct them about the stupid stuff they say and everybody learns from it (supposedly). Conversely, in the mid/high forums, a higher standard is expected and its preferable that people lurk if they are FOS. We don't have that luxury. This makes it tough to delete posts with bad content or noobish thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
2. You have newbs posting hands and then when some of the better posters point out how badly they played the hand, the original poster gets pissed and starts insulting the people who are trying to help. In turn the good posters just refuse to give advice on here anymore, they prefer to use sarcastic one liners, which I find amusing FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

This always annoys me. Just a couple weeks ago I spent a substantial amount of time responding to some posts in the PLO forum only to get flamed by the original poster because he didn't like the fact he had totally bumbled up the hand. Definitely a problem and I'll lock threads when this happens.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the only way to clean this forum up is that when someone posts bad advice on multiple occasions, they should be warned not to post advice and if they continue to do so just [censored] Ban them. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is problematic. I think a better rule of thumb might be that people shouldn't post with regards to stakes they either (a) don't play (b) don't have the requisite knowledge to play (i'm thinking of guys like Buzz who play 3/6 or whatever but probably understand limit O8 better then a lot of the guys in the 75/150). If somebody is persistently posting with regards to hands they aren't qualified to discuss, I could see warning them.

But if a newb wants to respond to every PLO25 post as a learning exercise I don't see why I'd want to discourage that.

Also, I want to remind everyone that at the bottom of each post there is a button that will notify me by e-mail (I carry a Crackberry [for other reasons obviously] so I'll get it right away) to come check out the post. This isn't only for spam. If you think a post is ridiculuous, painfully low content, out-of-line, etc, please just click the notify moderator button. I'll check it out and if I agree I'll do something. If not, I'll leave it, no harm no foul.