View Single Post
Old 09-06-2003, 10:09 AM

Default 15-30 Hand To Discuss (Long)

I am in a Canterbury $15-$30 loose-passive must move game.

The BB is a new player who just entered the game. I have never played with him before at Canterbury (rare since I have played there since it opened).

UTG+1 raises. I have watched this player play for about 2 orbits, and he has played 80% of the hands. It is difficult to give value to any of his pre-flop raises, because he has raised (when he raises) with everything from KJo UTG to 97s in the small blind.

UTG+2 cold calls two bets, as does MP player. I have played with both players many times, and they tend to be straight forward in their play, and often willing to gamble.

I am seen as a fairly tight, aggressive player who will change up his game as conditions warrant. I am in the cutoff with the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Do you fold, call, or raise?

I chose to call.

Everyone folded to the BB who called 1 more bet. The pot contained $160.

The flop was the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Everyone checked to me. Do you check or bet? I checked.

The turn was [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The BB bet, UTG+1 folded, UTG+2 folded, MP called. Do you fold, call, or raise? I raised, figuring I may very well win the pot right here. The BB called, and MP folded. The pot now contained $310. We are heads up.

The river was [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The BB bets. Do you fold, call, or raise? I raised. The BB 3-bet, and I called.

The BB had J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a set.

The reason I posted this hand is because for the past few weeks, I have not been running very well. I have had large hands beaten (big pairs, quads to quads, etc.). I am open-minded, however, to the fact that my "running-bad" could potentially be related to recents leaks in my game, or flat out playing-bad.

Without being results oriented, I question my pre-flop call, as it may be better to raise if you play at all.

I especially question my flop check. If I would have bet, it is likely the BB would have raised, with everyone folding to me. In that situation, I would have folded as well. While not winning the pot in either case, I would have saved myself 5 big bets. A key ingridient to improving one's game.

Once I make it to the turn, and then the river, I do not think I could have played this hand any differently, but I am open to suggestions.

Comments/Opinions are welcome.