Thread: Pokernomics
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Pokernomics

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, think about how many hands you would need to figure out LOOKING FROM A STATISTICAL PERSPECTIVE ONLY (i.e., making zero judgements about which plays are good or not based on "human" skills like hand reading) if you pay off too often on the river. It's a very large number. 10k doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, yet that is quite a funadmental thing someone might want to know about their play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Upon rereading the FAQ, apparently the "personal analysis" bit isn't slated as just a gimmick, but part of the overall project. From the FAQ:

"5. How is your free analysis going to differ from statistics given by Poker Tracker or other software?

The advantage of a pokernomics analysis over statistics reported by Poker Tracker is that our analysis incorporates data about how other people play. A naive analysis would look at a Poker Tracker statistic that says "I win 57 % of the time after seeing the flop with hand Y" and conclude that playing more of those hands will be successful. A Pokernomics analysis will test how other players with a similar style to yours who had that same hand but played it greater percentage of time (controlling for relevant factors) actually did. By comparing the play of many different people over the course of hundreds of thousands of hands our analysis is far richer.

Using advanced statistics, the pokernomics team will also be able to control for table conditions, position, and other relevant factors in order to generate more meaningful statistics. "

Although I don't know if that would even make it valuable. To exaggerate for the purpose of clarity, say I were able to send this guy just one hand history of where I played AA in the cutoff in a NL game and only stole the blinds - what could his analysis possibly tell me about my own game, even if it were based on a gazillion hands where other people got AA in the cutoff?

Nothing more than the pokerroom EV-by-hand and position thingamabob could tell me, I'd imagine.