View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: One year ago today, I...

That's an impressive story and not at all what my impression was - regarding where you were a year ago.

I started playing a year ago. Very small.

In Feb I found this site through a google search.

Soon after I registered on this site. I continue to read more than I post...for obvious reasons (if you read my posts [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). I started to play more often and improve my game.

In June I took a chance to improve my game on a radical scale. I sent a PM to a poster I respected above all others and he took pity on me. I knew then as well as now that I was very lucky in my timing and perhaps the way I made my humble request and he agreed to help this noob out. For that, I am eternally grateful to him, more than he could ever know.

June - Aug. I learned the fundamentals, studied and played. Went to Vegas in July during the ME. Avoided all 2ers except one - played way beyond my BR and made some very nice cash. Checked out some places to live during the WSOP next year. Had a good time overall.

Sept - Oct. I continued to play, study and work at my STT game. Began studying limit and MTT (which I'd studied before). My level of study increased in quantity and quality - thanks in a bizarre way to Party for the split of the skins. Began playing sat's and STTs on Stars. Built a very nice bankroll on that site through my new and improved STT play and winning lots of T$ in the sats.

November - Opened an account for the first time on Party. "Completed" my "formal" education on 800 chip STTs (according to the above mentioned favorite poster). Living with some horrendous variance as I re-adjust to the 800 chip game. I am now the definition of confidently frustrated. Have studied harder this month than any previous month although I've put LHE and MTT study on hold.

For the New Year: I am confident I will make some huge strides in BR building and moving up the buy-in chain. I will be fulfilling my obligations to my favorite poster. I will fund my return to the WSOP through my online and live tourney play over the next 6 months. I intend to spend a good part of the summer in Vegas. My plan and goals for the next 6 months by game:

Limit - successful at online 1/2 limit 2-4 tables. Study, study, study.

STT - Be a winning player live and online up to the $33s online and $300 live. Study, study, study.

MTT - Mix live and online MTT play $5 - $300 buyins in prep. for the WSOP. Study, study, study. I plan to play in at least 2 events in the WSOP, possibly more. Cash in at least one event.

What I'm happy about:

- How lucky I was to get the friend and mentor I have.
- How much I've learned and continue to learn.
- How I play now compared with 6 months ago.
- How much my wife supports my play.
- Having found 2+2 when I did.
- How much there is still to learn.
- My MTT game to date... but still not playing enough.
- How I deal with variance now compared with 6 months ago.

What I'm still not happy about:

- My BR
- The progress I've made in terms of $ overall.
- The buyin level I'm stuck at.
- The progress I've made in improving my STT game.
- Being in a position to fulfill my obligation to my favorite poster due to my slower than expected progress.
- Having to put off LHE to improve my STT game.
- Never having the chance to meet most of you.