View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Beginner Question about tournaments

Fpr family time I would suggest going the other way and just playing ring (cash) games. You could still jump into the occasional MTT if you want. The reason being that a ring game ins't going to chain you to the computer. MTTs can take hours. Your wife/girlfriend isn't goin to want to here "hold on, honey, the tournament is on break in 28mins & 26seconds" if she needs help with something. With ring games you can get up whenever you want.

For building a bankroll MTTs are a good way to do it fast, but that's only if you're winning and finishing high in the money. That, obviously, isn't going to happen all the time. As my esteemed collegue pointed out in the above post, the variance is crazy high. SNGs generally won't take nearly as much time as a MTT but unless you're finishing in the money around 40%+ of the time the bankroll isn't going to move too fast and your risk of ruin is not as high as MTTs but is still much higher than ring games. You're mich better off sticking to the lower limit ring games for building your bankroll. You may aslo want to consider doing some bonus whoring.

For books on NL, TOP (the best overall poker book there is and a must read for any poker player), HOH, and TPFAP are good ones to get you going. That list could aslo include HOH2, Kill Phil, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, and NL and PL by Ruben and Ciaffone. I can't stress enough how important TOP is to any poker player.

As far as sites go... I'd stick to Party Poker or Poker Stars for now.