View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Is playing with friends plus or minus ev?

[ QUOTE ]
first, don't play with friends at a b&m, second play with friends if and only if all of you are friends, here you can dick around and get all those donk tendencies out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sage wisdom. Its the age old "don't mix business with pleasure" axiom.

A great example I saw of this was last time I was in Vegas - these two buddies sit down next to each other and start playing. First off, they were far more interested in impressing the other with their play than the rest of us. Second, they got into a lot of trouble with the dealer because they kept talking to each other about their hands. One time, one guy told his buddy that he had a flush - problem was there was still another person in the hand - that got the one guy booted.

I play a weekly game with my buddies and it is the only time when I feel like I can loosen up a bit - I tend to bluff a lot and just have fun with it (the fact that we smoke weed at the game also has an impact).

I'll take this opportunity to share my bad beat story from last night

I am in the BB ($1) with 86o. UTG raises $1. One caller and I call.

Flop comes 457r giving me a straight. I decide to slowplay it and UTG bets $2. Other player folds and I call. Turn is a 4. UTG bets $5 - the maximum bet in our game - and I raise him $5. He thinks about it for a while and calls. River is a 7. I check. He bets $5 I call and he turns over K7o for a full house.