Thread: never say never
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: never say never

There are two types of atheists, in my opinion and experience.

There is the Metaphysical atheist, who is concerned mostly about the existence of god/s. "There is no god."

Then there is the Epistemological atheist (myself) who is concerned more about knowledge and belief of god/s. "I don't believe in god."

Consider this hypothetical, (which also happens to be the Christian concept):
God exists but human knowledge of god does not exist. In order to be a theist, one must have faith/ belief in god without actual knowledge.

Problem: how does one muster up belief in something they have knowledge about? Think about it. Can you have faith in a table or chair? No, you just believe it exists. Would the most rational argument dissuade you of your belief in a table? No (unless you're sickly and nutso like Descartes, but that's another story...)

What about something non-tangible...love? Can you have faith in love? Sure. But don't you also have knowledge of it? From mommy or from a lover. Consider people who don't have some knowledge of love. They don't have faith in it, do they?

So, how can you have faith in someting you have no knowledge of? Or rather, how can you not have faith in something you do have knowledge of? It simply comes down to whether or not you have faith. Either you do or you don't. And you know the answer. You can't create something from nothing.

So give yourself a break. You're an atheist until proven otherwise. What passes as proof is up to you. But, give yourself credit, you'll know, just as you know about other things you believe in, such as tables and love.