View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: A history lesson

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No real solutions one can sink their teeth into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the problem with the way you viewed the professors quote.

He is a professor of history, he as offered an historical perspective and that is all he has offered. In this essay he has not tried to offer any solutions and in fact offering solutions would dilute the history lesson.

The problem is that many ignore history in assessing the problem. The people in power should understand the history, the people who vote for them should understand the history -- independent of the solutions. The politics would come in who's solution you want to support -- and that is a separate game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think reading that link is going to contribute to understanding the history, you're crazy. Also crazy is thinking that this article is not offering a political perspective on current events.

As a substantive criticism, that article totally fails to deal with, or even address, the wider context of the decision to arm the mujahideen or the positive consequences of that decision.

I just skimmed the article, but I don't really recall him explaining how giving bin Laden Stinger missiles 20 years ago has a causal connection with his people using box cutters and home-made bombs in acts of terrorism today.