View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Is o8 a limpers game?

[ QUOTE ]
Pokerswami - First let's get the facts straight.

People do raise before the flop in limit Omaha-8 games.

Sometimes I play in games where pre-flop raising is the norm - where there's almost always a pre-flop raise. Often the raising in these pre-flop-aggressive games is mostly done by a very few players who may <font color="white">_</font>think they know how to play the game of Omaha-8 well, but who don't really understand how to play Omaha-8 well at all - and when that's the case, I don't think it's in the best interests of a seasoned player to get out of the game just because fluctuations increase.

It is true that pre flop raises increase fluctuations and <font color="white">_</font>when you make them too frequently yourself you do not gain you much profit. Indeed, I think when you make them yourself with a good hand, you may alert your opponents and end up profiting less than you would have profited without the pre-flop raise.

You're still going to show a profit with a good hand, whether you raise before the flop or not. But you may make more profit by not giving your hand away too early. Give the fish a chance to swallow the bait rather than jerking back on the pole the instant the fish touches it.

I think when Ray Zee wrote about only marginally increasing your profits he was thinking in terms of raising before the flop <font color="white">_</font>yourself.

I believe it is true that your fluctuations greatly increase when there's much pre-flop raising by your opponents.

Whether or not I make a pre-flop raise myself has nothing whatsoever to do with a consideration of fluctuations. It's purely because I think I will end up with more profit at the end of the evening by playing that hand one way or another. And I believe many, if not most, of my solid playing limit Omaha-8 opponents think that way too.

If my opponents who know the game well are not raising much before the flop, I believe it's mainly because they think they'll have more chips at the end of the evening by not raising.

Yes, there are games with groups of players such that there's very little pre-flop raising. But for the most part I don't think that has much, if anything, to do with a dread of bankroll fluctuations.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Buzz, the tone of your posts are very disparaging.

You say that players who disagree with you on preflop raising only 'think' they know how to play the game well. Or that most solid players agree with you.

Several posters on here that play this game for a living advocate preflop raising. Several others with WSOP bracelets like Bobby Baldwin and Steve Badger advocate preflop raising as well.

At the very least you should be more respectful of those who disagree.