View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: When you look like a maniac

i really don't like this play. if you've been really active in the last couple of orbits, people will think that you're playing LAG. so to throw them off you play LAG?

it's the pre-flop that i really don't like. when you call this guy, if he's been paying any attention, he's saying "ok, this guy's really LAG. don't let him bluff." so you're going to paid off if you hit your hand and he has anything reasonable. so i guess you could make a case for some loose call pre-flop with a hand like 58s, where you're going to try to get paid off if you hit something.

but with a hand like A2, i think it's a bad call. it's basically impossible to flop a strong hand, unless it comes A2x, 22x, or 345. the only realistic way you're going to get any chips from making your hand is if it comes AQ5 and your A2 beats his KQ. but it's going to be impossible to make any money / not get blown off the hand there unless you're also willing to go broke vs his AJ.

if you're going to pick a time to make a pre-flop call that is only profitable if you can win post-flop with nothing, the best time is not when you've been really active and you just restole from the current pfr.