View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: i think i may have cracked a rib

Years ago I tripped over a bookbag in the student pub and went flying into a bar stool (missed banging my head on the counter by a fraction of an inch). I hurt like hell and had huge black and blue marks. I called myself Xena Warrior Princess because it looked like I was wearig steel breastplate and armlets. I could feel I had a cracked rib, and when I determined that broken ribs receive no treatment whatsoever (except pain relief), I didn't bother to have it x-rayed. I figured that if a piece of broken rib was poking a lung, I would have specific lung-related symptoms. Years later I did have a chest x-ray, and it was discovered that the rib looked strange. I kept telling them that I broke that rib, but they thought it might be cancer and made a big fuss, and I had a bone scan. It wasn't cancer, but the medical types still kept fussing about it. They refused to believe that I broke my rib because it wasn't "documented." Point was I broke my rib, it healed crooked, it would have healed crooked even if I had had it x-rayed because there is no treatment for a broken rib, and much ado was made about nothing.