View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Red Sox pay $11 million to rid themselves of Edgar Renteria

I am not real sure how this baseball saving dollars thing works? It sound like if the Cardinals sign Mark Mulder to a five year $60 million dollar contract and turn and pay someone $10 million to take him they have saved $10 million dollars in payroll? It seems to me like they would actually be LOSING $10 million dollars in payroll?

I think this trade is really hard to gauge as you are trading a proven veteran plus money for a prospect. I would think Renteria straight up for Marte would be a bad trade for the Red Sox. Giving up your starting shortstop for a player that may make it to the major leagues some day. They also created a whole at shortstop. Time will really tell with this trade.

I assume the consensus is the Red Sox made a terrible signing with Renteria? Or do people think with the added value of Marte the signing was a good one. I think another way to look at the trade is the Red Sox 'bought Marte' for $11 million as Renteria cost them nothing (probably a draft pick)?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]