View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Aces and Kings: Reviews?

i read most of the book while browsing and its a quick travel style read. the chapters are interesting and readable, but seem to lack depth in certain ways. Its not that most of the information isn't new or refreshing to hear, its that the book seems a little weightless. Some of my favorite excerpts include the bit about a young Chip Reese losing to Robison and running into his home (where Robison couldn't beat him up) and Greenstein 'gambling' with an unnamed big game player. There's some interweaving of stories, but not enough imo. One of the reasons why Greenstein's site works is because here's a world class player giving amusing personal anecdotes that we'd otherwise not hear about. I suppose the book has quite a few enjoyable tales, but even those lack the weight that a lot of quotes and personal opinion would give. I'm being a nit, because I did sit transfixed over an hour and I will be picking up a copy soon (after finals).

Probably 3.5/5 stars or if we're talking cards, how about 8/9s on the co against 5 passive limpers...nice opportunity, but it'll be hit or miss.