View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Fighting the Effects of Fatigue

Scott:

This is a very good post IMO. I think that many of my mistakes can be attributed to fatigue. When fatigue strikes, I sometimes do something that I have no idea why I did it.

Good poker decisions require one to perceive a lot of subtelties. It is really hard to take those subtelties in and process them when you are tired. Decisions become more robotic.

Really, it is a matter of concentration. Being able to concentrate hand, after hand, after hand; even the ones you are not in. Even when (when tired) you make decisions that seem to be easy (throwing away T3o) you have to wonder whether a better decision could have been made if you had been more focused (e.g., maybe this was a perfect time to steal).

A person can know a lot about poker and have a lot of tools and skills, but unless you are able to concentrate hard enough to put all the information together and make the right decision they are only going to get you so far.

It's about concentration and clarity of mind. I think Greg Raymer talked about this recently as a big key to his victory.

I equate fatigue with difficulty in continuing to concentrate. I'm not sure I have any tips for solving the problem, other than to recognize it and tell yourself to concentrate before every single action. Sometimes, I find myself mentally repeating, "concentrate, concentrate, concentrate . . . " Puts me to sleep though.