View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: I think my biggest leak is...

This is my first post, and I've only been playing for a couple of months, but I've been avidly reading posts and learning. What a great site! And this post from Ed Miller about playing overcards was very relevant for me tonight, so I thought I'd bump it.

I've been playing the same 1/2 table on Paradise for about 4 hours now. There was, at any given time, 2-3 very very loose aggressive players at the table, plus a couple of sharks. I tend to play tight aggressive, perhaps too aggressive, especially after the flop (I'm working on that). These LAG's were calling or raising with any damn cards. Since I only play good starting hands, that was fine by me.

HOWEVER...I got creamed several times by playing my overcards on the flop aggressively, getting called or raises by these nutballs, then losing the showdown because they paired something ridiculously small. ARRGGGH!

First, I closed the other table I was playing (I'm probably too new for that anyway; just combating boredom), and then I started in on my books, looking up "overcards on the flop."

Lee Jones..."ditch them."

Carson...."ditch them."

Okay, by now I'm thinking I've been doing the wrong thing and it's time to roll over more often. My SSHE is no where to be found (of course, my favorite, and I move it all over the house), so I started searching 2+2 and found this thread.

Ed is right...if you play the overcards correctly and carefully in the right situation, they can make more than the money lost when they don't work out. I'm not saying that I interpreted his post to mean I should play them all the time, but against LAGs, I should at least slow down (call instead of raising), and see what happens on the turn. I immediately won a $29, then a $17 pot buy calling the flop, then cramming it to them when I made top pair. Again, I'm aware that the situation must be evaluated before playing this way, but I am starting to feel like I've got a much better grip on how to play these.

Any thoughts?

BTW...I just took down 20 BBs against a LAG. We both had trips, but I had the Ace kicker. HOLD OUT FOR THE GOOD STARTING HANDS, NEWBIES!