View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: For Sale By Owner Horror Stories

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I've heard is that some realtors simply won't show people your house if you go the FSBO route or especially if you go with the discount companies. They're looking out for each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are looking out for themselves. Realtors show other houses because they have a agreement that they will get a certain percent of the commission if they bring the buyer to the deal. If the commission on a sale is say 6%, the buyer's realtor might get 2.5%. If an owner is not offering any commission, there is no reason for a realtor to show the house, unless he has an agreement with the buyer to pay him in such a situation.

When I sold my house, I used a flat-rate realtor. They did not list in the MLS, so there were no other realtor interest. But they ran full page color ads in the Sunday paper, and the agents referred buyers to each other. I did all the showings and open-houses, using the signs they provided. They handled all the paperwork, which is a major pain. The whole thing cost me a little over $2000.