View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Question about Preflop Recommendations in SSHE

Hi,

I've been reading "Small Stakes Hold'em" by Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth, and I have two questions about how to use the Pre-Flop recommendations table presented on pages 80-83. I understand that the tables are only guidelines, and that correct play may vary from them under various circumstances. That said, I would like to understand and memorize the tables so that I'll have a reference against which I can evaluate and adjust my play. If you have the time to answer my questions I'd quite appreciate it. Here they are:

* In the tables, some of the recommendations are the same for raising and playing. For example, the recommendation for a tight game, early position, after a raise and a reraise is to play AA-QQ and AKs, and to raise these hands as well. I take this to mean raise if you can, and call otherwise?

* How should the tables be used if after my first call or raise, betting continues around the table and I must make a second (or third) betting decision? It is likely that some players have folded, thus changing my estimate of the number of players that might be present at the Flop, but at the same time there is probably more money in the pot, changing the pot odds. Furthermore, with players having folded my position around the table may have changed. Could you explain how I should evaluate my position, and whether I am in a no-raise, raise, or raise and re-reaise situation?

Thanks so much,

Bruno