View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Inducing a mistake?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that the players routinely mix in these smaller bet amounts

[/ QUOTE ]

You feel my play here is standard, then?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think if you're not mixing up your betting amounts postflop you are playing sub-optimally, yes. This is the ideal spot to mix it up. The goal is for them to never know when you have AK and when you have KK here. AND to make them make the biggest mistake when they make a mistake.

Folding when they are ahead is usually not that big a mistake. They are rarely very far ahead of your hand range. Even if you only have two overcards, you still have 6 outs (most likely twice if they check the turn) to catch up. But calling the flop when they only have two outs is a pretty big mistake. So you should basically do everything you can to get them to call the flop with an unimproved pair. Particularly if they will fold it to a second barrel, so that you can win the pot even if when you DON'T have an overpair. So, I think having a standard bet amount and then occasionally lowering it with an overpair is a really nice way to go about things.